Project Hawthorn notes - more on Microsoft Outlook 2013 and IBM Domino
Tags :Outlook Traveler Domino 9
Project Hawthorn was a huge announcement from IBM about using Microsoft Outlook 2013 and IBM Domino servers. I took some additional notes at MWLUG 2013 and wanted to share them as I promised in the previous posting.
This is based on what I could quickly write down based on what Scott Souder, Program Director, Messaging and Collaboration Solutions, IBM, was saying. Then I had to read my own writing which made it worse while writing slides at the same time. So here you go:
- This is not IMAP or POP3
- You will use Domino 9.x.x and Traveler 9.x.x or higher. No Domino 8.x support for the server or Traveler
- It is 64-bit Domino and 64-Bit Traveler on Windows 64-bit. No other OS announced yet for the server side
- The Microsoft add-in for Outlook leverages Domino REST services
- There will be tons of capabilities for message fidelity, calendaring, out of office and more
- Windows only (I presume Windows 7 on since it is Outlook 2013)
- It uses ost files and not pst files locally on the client machine
As you can see the list of features for Microsoft Outlook 2013 against IBM Domino is impressive. I think he mentioned encryption but that might have been a question to myself in my notes.
Make sure to read the previous posting Project Hawthorn - Microsoft Outlook 2013 support for IBM Domino