Blogging our DST patch morning live
Tags :DST Domino 7 Sametime
5:00am - Quick team meeting in my office to go over everything we need to get done. Blackberry pushes and Sametime are first up on the list.
5:30am - So first up for me was the Sametime servers. Others were prepping the DWA, calendar and RnR stuff. I have some of those to do in a bit, but I started with our internal servers first. Running the JTZU patch took far too long to search the Sametime systems. You really cannot run this tool in interactive mode since then you need to specify what gets updated and you have no clue. It even prompts you that letting it search could take hours. It really only took a few minutes when all was said and done to find what needed updating. It did take a while to run however.
6:16am - This was incredibly frustrating when the IBM support site was up and down all morning also. Yes we have knowledgebase locally, but it is faster to web grab some of the files. Also, it also would be nice not to get just random error messages on documents not existing when you know they do.
7:00am - First batch of RnR changes completed and one test mailfile set done. One weird error on one customer and the rest went smooth so far.
8:00am - Script errors when the calendar agent runs on a bad mailfile in the text list. We find endless script loops running. Removing the last mailfile attempted (and all previous completed ones) from the text list and restarting the agent fixes it. Some clients have no issues at all, others have a handful that cause grief. It has you going back to each server and making sure it it not looping.
8:30am - The path for managed and hosted server is an issue, so we created numerous agents with different drive letters that we can fire off. Now AS/400 and some random servers ever have different data paths from the norm. Standardization I say, standardization.
8:50am - Encounter first Domino Directory in foreign language. Script in agents only works on English views. It says it can't find the Server\Mail Users view. Which is there, however it is Servidor\Usuarios do Correio. First glance doesn't show where the agent grabs that view name to change it.
So I will give another (after much sleep) overview tomorrow on steps, commands and other things we figured out and streamlined as we went along to make your life easier.